With perfect weather almost all year long, San Diego can be your outdoor playground! 70 miles of beaches provide for almost endless opportunities of family fun days by the water’s edge regardless of the season! San Diego doesn’t have to break your bank, although it’s tempting to let it… There are a variety of fun activities that both children and adults will enjoy.
5 Fun Freebies in San Diego
- Balboa Park Concert: Enjoy a FREE organ concert at 2pm on Sundays at the Spreckels Organ Pavillon, one of the largest outdoor pipe organs in the world! Umm… Free Concert? Yes Please! Balboa Park is a Mecca for families and tourists on its own, and you’ll definitely want to spend some time just strolling through to look at all eye candy architecture. We made several trips to Balboa Park during our time San Diego which included checking out some of the cool museums the grounds offer, like The Natural History Museum! The Park is also home to the famous San Diego Zoo- which we choose to skip this time, but will make it a stop on our next trip- because it did look pretty awesome!
- U.S. Olympic Training Center: Take a self guided tour of this 150-acre facility, including athlete dorms and the Otay Lake Reservoir. Self-guided tours are available daily between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. If you’e planning on staying at the Pio Pico RV Resort by Thousand Trails, you should know this place is super close by!
- Fleet Science Center: Stargaze outside on the first Wednesday of every month when the San Diego Astronomy Association sets up giant telescopes to view the night sky! The kids will especially enjoy their chance to get up close and personal with the twinkling stars!
- Old Town: The historic old town San Diego is worth more than just one visit, but start by wandering freely through some fo the historic buildings like Seeley Stables, Estudillo House, and even the Stewart House! Then go back and enjoy great dining and cute shops!
- Mt. Laguna: I know we all do a lot of driving and by the time you reach your destination, you want to explore in different ways, but who can resist the beauty and calm you experience from a scenic drive! Take the 1-hour drive to the top and then enjoy a hike in the pines!